"In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities."

Crystal Mountain

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Financing Fun

Financing a home couldn't be any more frustrating. Every mortgage company has different rates, requirements, and closing costs, so it's difficult to compare which is the better deal. On top of that, the rates change daily, so the quote never stays the same. Of course, if I had unlimited income all this would be great, but since the house Sean and I love is already at the top of our price range, we are a bit more restricted. That said, fortunately I have always been diligent in my savings, so I have plenty of funds for closing and the down payment - though I still want the best deal darn it! This need to find absolutely the best deal I can is driving me nuts because it means talking to fifty different lenders at fifty different companies, and therefore providing all my financial information fifty different times!

On a much more fun note, Sean and I are already coming up with ways to spend our money once we have a home in our possession. Sean has a friend that does hardwood floor installation, so we are setting aside funds to have the entire main floor done in hardwood - preferably Brazilian cherry if I have my way (and fortunately Sean leaves the decorating to me, so I will get my way). We also really want a hot tub, so I imagine some of the tax credit will be going to that little indulgence. I can't wait until we actually have the keys to a house so that all of this can actually come to fruition! We submitted our counter offer this evening and the seller has already accepted, so now we are just waiting to hear if the bank will accept it as well. Then I need to finalize the financing and we will be on our way to home ownership...I can't wait!

All of these recent happenings, though stressful, have made me realize how lucky I am to have such a supportive family. If my parents hadn't raised me to be so financially independent, there is no way I'd be able to afford this on my own. It's incredibly rewarding to be able to purchase a home for the first time and know I'm doing it without my parent's financial assistance. I remember back in 2007 when I first started at Boeing I was really anxious to buy a home, but I knew I didn't have the means at that time. Mom and Dad had to keep reminding me to be patient, which as most of my friends and family know, is not really a virtue I possess. I never would have thought that just a few years later everything I had dreamed about then would become a reality, and I don't mean just in the way of home buying. Though I had just started my job at Boeing and loved having disposable income, I could already tell it wasn't the right fit and HR was still calling to me. I was fresh out of a bad relationship that had gone on way too long and didn't think I'd ever find the right guy for me, which was probably the one area of my life that was bugging me the most. It wasn't until I met Sean that things really seemed to turn around, and now, three years later, I will finally be starting a job that I feel passionate about. I guess patience pays off after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment